*This page is specific to the 2017 California wildfires that occurred in October (Northern California) and December (Southern California). This page is current as of September 26, 2019. It is updated as the recovery continues.
State Farm® Response to the 2017 California Wildfires Continues
It's been nearly two years since wildfires devastated North Bay and Southern California. State Farm continues to work with its customers and the communities affected by these tragedies.
Rebuilding homes and neighborhoods takes time. Putting lives back together takes a toll on individuals, families and the community-at-large. The commitment to helping our customers recover continues.
As of mid-September 2019, State Farm has received approximately 10,000 home and auto claims related to these fires. Over $2 billion in indemnity has been paid.
History of the State Farm response to these fires:
- As each wildfire event broke out, State Farm immediately began to position resources. People and equipment from across the country was deployed to the areas most impacted.
- 700 State Farm associates were mobilized to work in 17 offices - including eight walk-up tents and two brick-and-mortar offices. Seven catastrophe response vehicles were deployed to assist our customers in the recovery process. The on-the-ground presence was continually adjusted to respond to changing circumstances and customer needs.
- Paid more than $2 billion in indemnity for the approximately 10,000 claims from the two fires.
- Community grants and volunteer efforts provided by the company and our associates continue to focus on emergency relief, home safety and wildfire preparedness.
- Advanced four months of Additional Living Expenses (ALE) upon request.
- Advanced up to 75% for total loss of content coverage limit without an inventory.
- Expedited payment of automobile claims for comprehensive loss coverage.
- Granted billing leniency for at least 30 days for customers in designated disaster areas.
- Allowed grouping of categories of personal property to ease itemization of contents.
- State Farm claim handlers are available to help policyholders complete every step of the inventory process.
As the country's largest provider of auto and home insurance, we have faced countless significant weather and other major disasters throughout our 97-year history. Our State Farm agents, agent’s staff, local employees and claims specialists are always prepared to help customers with their claims. Before, during and after a catastrophic event, we help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected, and realize their dreams.
In the News:
- Santa Monica Mirror: Number of Insurance Claims Recieved from the SoCal Wildfires Surpasses 1,500 for State Farm (12/14/17)
- KTVU: Insurance Agent Camps Out in Office to Serve Customers (10/18/17)
- KRON4 Bay Area: With fire insurance, make sure it covers what you need (10/17/17)
- KSEE-TV: With fire insurance, make sure it covers what you need (10/13/17)
- KCBS Radio: State Farm Releases New Home, Auto Insurance Claim Numbers From Fires (10/12/17)
- KCOY - Santa Barbara: Fire insurance on the minds of homeowners after seeing devastating fires across California (10/12/17)
- East Bay Times: Interview with agent Kelly Lux (10/11/17)
- The Press Democrat: North Coast insurance agents on protecting home, finances from fire (08/15/16)
For 100 years, the mission of State Farm has been and continues to be to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected, and realize their dreams. State Farm and its affiliates are the largest providers of auto and home insurance in the United States. Its more than 19,400 agents and approximately 53,400 employees serve over 87 million policies and accounts – which includes auto, fire, life, health, commercial policies and financial services accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 42 on the 2022 Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com.
Media Specialist (CA, NV, WA, OR, ID, AK, HI)
Public Affairs Specialist
Public Affairs Specialist