Alaska Earthquake: Be Safe and Mindful of Aftershocks
A 7.0 magnitude earthquake impacted Southern Alaska approximately eight miles north of Anchorage on Nov. 30, 2018 at 8:29 a.m. local time. Be careful and mindful of the risk of aftershocks and follow instructions of local officials.
You can view the ShakeMap on the USGS website.
We're here to help customers affected. Visit st8.fm/claim, call 1-800-SFCLAIM (1-800-732-5246), or contact your agent.
- It is important to follow the instructions of local officials and seek out resources from local evacuation centers and aid stations.
- Always make safety the #1 priority when inspecting damage or making temporary repairs.
- Drink bottled water or boil tap until you hear that the water supply is safe.
- If it’s safe to go home, check for gas and turn off the main valve if you smell anything.
- If it is safe to enter your home, check for gas leaks and electrical problems.
- Make temporary repairs to protect your home from further damage and save all receipts. Coverage may be available for these expenses.
Earthquake insurance quick facts:
- EQ insurance is sold as a separate endorsement.
- The premium varies based on several factors including: age of home, building materials and proximity to known fault lines.
- Your auto insurance will typically provide coverage for damages caused by an earthquake, if Comprehensive Coverage is carried on the policy.
The mission of State Farm is to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected, and realize their dreams. State Farm and its affiliates are the largest providers of auto and home insurance in the United States. Its nearly 19,000 agents and approximately 65,000 employees serve approximately 83 million policies and accounts – approximately 81 million auto, fire, life, health and commercial policies and approximately 2 million bank accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 36 on the 2018 Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com.