Shaken? State Farm is Here to Help
Two magnitude severe earthquakes and thousands of aftershocks have impacted Kern County, California beginning on July 4. The strongest, a 7.1 magnitude quake, hit near Ridgecrest, California on July 5 at 8:29 a.m. local time. The magnitude of both the rolling shakes could be felt in neighboring Nevada and in Los Angeles. While Scientists believe there is a 5% (unlikely) chance of another 7 or above earthquake, be careful and mindful of the risk of aftershocks and follow instructions of local officials. Also, take steps now to be prepared for future events.
- In California, earthquake coverage can be purchased through the California Earthquake Authority (CEA). State Farm is a participating member of the CEA.
- After a large earthquake event, new CEA policies purchased do not provide coverage for the next 360 hours, or 15 days, for earthquakes that are seismically considered to be part of the initial event.
Customers impacted by the California earthquakes can visit st8.fm/claim or call 1-800-SFCLAIM to file a claim.
Each claim is unique and investigated based on its own merits.
Your agent can also help and give you more time to pay your premium if needed.
Problems paying your loan? Call 1-877-SF4-BANK.
Additional Information Resources:
- The Red Cross has an exceptional earthquake preparedness/recovery checklist.
- The California Earthquake Authority (CEA) offers seven steps for preparedness and safety; as stated in step four, being prepared can help minimize financial hardship after the shaking has stopped.
- ShakeMap on the USGS website.
- It is important to follow the instructions of local officials and seek out resources from local evacuation centers and aid stations.
- Always make safety the #1 priority when inspecting damage or making temporary repairs.
- Drink bottled water or boil tap until you hear that the water supply is safe.
- If it’s safe to go home, check for gas and turn off the main valve if you smell anything.
- If it is safe to enter your home, check for gas leaks and electrical problems.
- Make temporary repairs to protect your home from further damage and save all receipts. Coverage may be available for these expenses.
Earthquake insurance quick facts:
- EQ insurance is sold as a separate endorsement.
- The premium varies based on several factors including: age of home, building materials and proximity to known fault lines.
- Your auto insurance will typically provide coverage for damages caused by an earthquake, if Comprehensive Coverage is carried on the policy.
In the News:
- KGET-TV (Bakersfield, CA - 7/8/2019) Earthquake insurance explained by local insurance agent
KERO-TV (Bakersfield, CA - 7/52019) Agent advised homeowners to consider getting additional coverage for earthquakes
The mission of State Farm is to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected, and realize their dreams. State Farm and its affiliates are the largest providers of auto and home insurance in the United States. Its nearly 19,000 agents and approximately 58,000 employees serve approximately 83 million policies and accounts – approximately 81 million auto, fire, life, health and commercial policies and approximately 2 million bank accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 36 on the 2018 Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com.