Grillin’, thrillin’ and chillin’
The top three 4th of July activities based on State Farm consumer survey.
Take a moment to imagine your perfect 4th of July. What activities come to mind that makes this holiday so much fun? We polled others on the same question and saw some hot-dog results.
In a State Farm consumer survey, we asked Americans across the country how they plan to celebrate Independence Day in 2023 – and while some states varied slightly, three activities rose to the top.
- Grilling food outdoors – 70.3%
- Watching fireworks and sparklers – 63.2%
- Chilling in the pool – 37%
Other activities enjoyed on the 4th of July were playing with pets, vacationing, and boating. During this day of celebration, it is also easy to forget to take necessary precautions needed around the pool, barbeque, and firework festivities.
Keep Grillin’, Thrillin’, Chillin’ and injury free by brushing up on a few safety tips below:
- Set up grill away from your home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches
- Make sure children and pets stay at least 3 ft. away from grilling area
- Keep grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grill surface and trays
- Never leave grill unattended
- Ensure fireworks are legal in your area
- Keep spectators at a safe distance – at least 75 feet away
- Never let children play with fireworks
- Leave pets in a quiet space at home
- Keep a first aid kit nearby and seek medical attention if injured
- Don’t swim alone, and always supervise children
- Enter the water feet-first to avoid serious injuries
- Avoid alcohol when swimming or supervising children
- Swim near lifeguards and stay within designated swimming areas
- Use only U.S. Coast Guard approved life jackets
Infographics (click to see more)
For over 100 years, the mission of State Farm has been to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected and realize their dreams. State Farm and its affiliates are the largest providers of auto and home insurance in the United States. Its more than 19,400 agents and 67,000 employees serve over 91 million policies and accounts – including auto, fire, life, health, commercial policies and financial services accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is also available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 44 on the 2023 Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com.