Misconceptions about Cannabis Use and Driving
New MADD survey details public attitude on marijuana and its influence on traffic safety.
Among the findings of a new Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) survey:
- One in eight U.S. adults admits to having driven under the influence of marijuana.
- 76% of the American public believe incidents of driving after consuming marijuana will increase.
- 27% recall a friend or family member driving within two hours of consuming alcohol sometime during the past three months.
- 26% think that driving after recent consumption of marijuana is “not too concerning” or “not at all concerning.”
- 31% of parents and grandparents report discussing the consequences of driving under the influence of alcohol “often." While 43% of parents and grandparents surveyed reported “never” broaching the subject of driving high with the next generation.
- There is uncertainty whether it is legal to drive impaired by marijuana:
- 40% view this as a serious crime,
- 27% say it is only a minor traffic offense,
- 4% think it is legal, and 27% are unsure.
- 41% are unsure or incorrectly believe that people who regularly use marijuana are generally not impaired, making it safe to drive.
The cannabis survey was funded by State Farm® and General Motors. It measured the American public’s attitudes and knowledge about the impact of marijuana on traffic safety. The report's publication coincides with the 40th Anniversary of MADD's founding on Sept. 5.
For 100 years, the mission of State Farm has and continues to be to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected, and realize their dreams. State Farm and its affiliates are the largest providers of auto and home insurance in the United States. Its 19,300 agents and nearly 55,000 employees serve approximately 86 million policies and accounts – which includes auto, fire, life, health, commercial policies and financial services accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 39 on the 2021 Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com.