Traveling safely with your furry family
The thrill of the open road and a travel adventure is just as exciting for many dogs as it is for people.
No matter where you're headed, the park close by or a vacation to the beach, it's important to think about everyone who'll be traveling with you, especially children and pets. When transporting your dog in a car, it's very important to make sure he/she is safe and secure. Unrestrained pets may be a distraction and pose serious possible risks. In an accident, an unrestrained pet could be injured, killed or even lost if thrown from the vehicle.
Consider these safety tips to make your travel adventure fun and safe.
- The safest way for dogs to travel in a car is in a crate. The crate should be large enough for your pet to stand, sit, lie down and turn around in.
- Another option to securely travel with your dog is in a dog car harness or seat belt. Most cars weren't designed with dogs in mind, so your regular seat belt won't fit them. A dog car harness can keep any sized dog safely strapped up in your car.
- Just like children, dogs should never ride with their heads out of a window. A dog's eyes, ears or nose could be injured from flying debris such as leaves, pebbles or a bug.
- Never leave your pets in the car alone for any length of time. Temperatures can rise 20° in just 10 minutes, putting them at risk.
When traveling with your dog there are items that should make the trip with you.
- Food and water – Bring enough of your dog's typical food for the entire trip and a collapsible water bowl.
- Familiar blankets – Comfy blankets or towels that smell like home will provide comfort.
- Potty bags – You don't want to be caught without them!
- Vaccination records – If you're crossing a border or boarding your pet, records will likely be needed.
- Medicine – You don't want to be without your dog's routine medication or anxiety treatment.
- Toys and treat – They'll love you for remembering their favorite things.
Finally, expect the unexpected. Pets are experts at the unpredictable, and new and unexpected illnesses and injuries happen. Before you start your travels, talk to your State Farm® agent about how a pet medical insurance with Trupanion can help protect your pets, or start your free, no-obligation quote online. The great thing is that a pet medical insurance policy follows you and your pet on your travels!
For over 100 years, the mission of State Farm has been to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected and realize their dreams. State Farm and its affiliates are the largest providers of auto and home insurance in the United States. Its more than 19,400 agents and 67,000 employees serve over 91 million policies and accounts – including auto, fire, life, health, commercial policies and financial services accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is also available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 44 on the 2023 Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com.