Protecting your pets during the 4th of July holiday
The day after the Fourth of July, animal shelters are full of pets that panicked at the sound of firecrackers the night before. Many of them fled into the night, winding up lost, injured or killed.
Noisy fireworks and other celebrations can startle animals and cause them to run away
Potentially dangerous debris can end up lying on the ground where pets can eat or play with it
- Keep sparklers, glow sticks, fireworks, charcoal and kabob skewers away from curious pets.
- Don’t let pets get near your barbecue grill while it is in use or still hot.
- Check your yard for fireworks debris before allowing pets outside to play or relax. Even if you didn’t set off fireworks yourself, debris can make its way into your yard, where curious animals may pick it up to play with or eat.
- If you hosted guests, check both your yard and home for food scraps or other debris that might be dangerous to pets, such as food skewers.
Summer heat and travel can be dangerous
Remember, too much sun and heat (and humidity!) can be dangerous to pets. Keep them inside when it’s extremely hot/humid; make sure they have access to shady spots and plenty of water when outdoors.
Holiday foods can be unhealthy
- Any change, even for one meal, can give your pet severe indigestion and diarrhea.
- Avoid the urge to feed your pets table scraps or other foods intended for people.
- And keep in mind that foods such as onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, grapes, raisins, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic to companion animals.