Pothole Pitfall Precautions
Potholes are a fact of life for anyone who drives. These road hazards are not only a nuisance, but they can do extensive damage to your vehicle if you accidentally hit one. State Farm is here to help with some simple tips to avoid the perils of potholes.
- Take Familiar Roads – Traveling on roads you know well will help you avoid potholes.
- Travel on well-lit roads – When driving at night, travel on well-lit roads so you can see the surface.
- Slow Down – Give yourself a chance to see the pothole and avoid it before you’re in it.
- Avoid Tailgating – Allow time to see road conditions ahead. The minimum recommended following distance of 2 seconds (some experts recommend 3 seconds or more) would give you time to spot and hopefully avoid a pothole.
- Brake Before Impact – If you can’t avoid a pothole, if possible brake to slow before impact (don’t skid), but be off the brakes long enough for the wheels to be moving. There’s less damage when a tire is rolling than during aggressive braking when the load on suspension, wheels and tires is greater, potentially causing more damage on impact with a pothole.
To see more pothole tips, hover over the blue dots on interactive image below.
For 100 years, the mission of State Farm has been, and continues to be, to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected, and realize their dreams. State Farm and its affiliates are the largest providers of auto and home insurance in the United States. Its more than 19,400 agents and approximately 53,400 employees serve over 87 million policies and accounts – which includes auto, fire, life, health, commercial policies and financial services accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 39 on the 2021 Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com.