Top 10 Hurricane Prep Tips
Whether you’ve experienced a hurricane or not, preparation can be key to weathering the storm.
While you can't stop a hurricane from coming, you can strengthen your home against its brutal force. Here are hurricane preparedness actions you can take to help protect your property, and possibly even save your life.
Prepare before a hurricane hits:
- Secure your garage doors and shut all interior/exterior doors to lessen the severity of wind damage.
- Clear gutters of any debris so water can flow freely.
- Store any non-secure items around the property in the home or garage, such as patio furniture, garbage bins and garden ornaments.
- Fill containers, buckets or tubs so that you can flush your toilets and wash your hands in the event you are allowed to stay home, and your water supply is cut off.
- Review your need for a backup generator. Having one in place can help provide your home with temporary power during an emergency. Remember to never run a generator inside the home or any enclosed area where deadly carbon monoxide (CO) gas can accumulate. Generator Safety Tips
- Have any necessary repairs made if you live in a mobile home and inspect all straps and tie-downs for wear.
- Make your evacuation plan and gather any supplies you may need. Emergency Kit Supplies
- Create a home inventory of your possessions. This can be a written list, captured on a digital app or video — or a combination of these tools − whatever is easiest for you.
- Try to store any RV or vehicle in a garage or secured facility.
- Designate an out-of-state friend or relative as a family contact: This one person can update everyone in case you need additional assistance.
For over 100 years, the mission of State Farm has been to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected and realize their dreams. State Farm and its affiliates are the largest providers of auto and home insurance in the United States. Its more than 19,400 agents and 67,000 employees serve over 91 million policies and accounts – including auto, fire, life, health, commercial policies and financial services accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is also available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 44 on the 2023 Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com.