Hail Happens: Stay Safe During Severe Storms
State Farm releases top 10 states for hail damage.
There are approximately 3,000 hailstorms in the U.S. every year. Hail often occurs during severe weather patterns, such as strong thunderstorms, causing billions of dollars in damage to buildings, vehicles, and crops annually.
In 2018, State Farm paid more than $2.7 billion for more than 280,000 auto and homeowners insurance hail damage claims.
In an Automobile
- Stop driving. If you see a safe place close-by (like inside a garage, under a highway overpass or under a service station awning), drive to it as soon as you can. Make sure you pull completely off the highway.
- Do NOT leave the vehicle until it stops hailing.
- Stay away from car windows. Cover your eyes with something, like a piece of clothing. If possible, get onto the floor facedown or lie down on the seat with your back to the windows.
- Put very small children under you and cover their eyes.
In a Building
- Stay inside until the hail stops.
- Stay away from windows.
- Account for all family members, building occupants, pets, etc.
- Do not go outside for any reason.
- To avoid the danger of electrocution from lightning, avoid using phones and electrical appliances during a severe storm.
- Seek shelter immediately. If you can’t find something to protect your entire body, find something to protect your head.
- Stay out of culverts and lowland areas that may suddenly fill with water.
- Seeking shelter under trees should be a last resort. It is common during severe storms for trees to lose branches.
The shareable, interactive image below shows more hail facts when you hover over the "+" signs.
The mission of State Farm is to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected, and realize their dreams. State Farm and its affiliates are the largest providers of auto and home insurance in the United States. Its nearly 19,000 agents and approximately 58,000 employees serve approximately 83 million policies and accounts – approximately 81 million auto, fire, life, health and commercial policies and approximately 2 million bank accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 36 on the 2019 Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com.