Winter weather and unexpected delays can leave drivers stranded
Don’t get stuck without these items
When the weather outside gets frightful, not all of us have the option of staying home by the fire because we do have places to go. So when it snow, snow, snows, and you have places to go, make sure you’ve done a trunk transfer to be sure you’ll be prepared if you get stuck in the cold.
The trunk is the perfect place to store all sorts of goodies that think we may need when we’re out and about. But what we carry and what we need if we get stuck in the elements can vary.
Nearly 1 in 5 of yearly weather-related crashes occur on snowy, slushy, or icy pavement. Approximately 70% of the US populations lives in a region that receives five or more inches of snow each year. With winter storms and heavy snows in the forecast, State Farm encourages drivers to prepare their vehicles for safe travel as road conditions become hazardous.
The essentials should include standard roadside hazard items such as a hazard triangle, jumper cables, tire changing tools and a first aid kit. But think about if you get stuck for an extended period… what else will you need to keep you warm, connected, and able to survive?
Start by getting rid of the "trunk junk" and adding the right supplies. This will help you deal with the unexpected and get back on the road. Keep these emergency essentials in your trunk during winter:
- Hats, gloves, scarves and blanket.
- Hand & foot warmers.
- Wool socks.
Stay visible & connected
- Flashlight & extra batteries.
- Bright cloth to tie on your car or flares.
- Phone charger and make sure all cell phones and tablets are fully charged.
- Jumper cables or external battery charger.
- Small snow shovel & ice scraper.
- Fire extinguisher & wiper fluid.
Some items to check and talk to your mechanic about before a storm:
- Test the battery strength.
- Check the cooling system, windshield wiper and antifreeze fluid levels and change the oil.
- Consider changing the spark plugs.
- Check the tire pressure, tread life and consider installing winter tires.
- Locate the spare tire, jack and ice scraper.
- Inspect your wiper blades to make sure they're functional and in good condition.
For 100 years, the mission of State Farm has been and continues to be to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected, and realize their dreams. State Farm and its affiliates are the largest providers of auto and home insurance in the United States. Its more than 19,400 agents and approximately 53,400 employees serve over 87 million policies and accounts – which includes auto, fire, life, health, commercial policies and financial services accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 42 on the 2022 Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com.
Public Affairs Spokesperson (CO, ND, NE, NM, NV, SD, UT, WY)